New York Philharmonic Assistant Principal Trombonist James Markey's brilliant 2003 recording featuring the following works:
1. Dmitri Shostakovich - Preludes, Op. 34 (1932)
2. Malcolm Arnold - Fantasy, Op. 69 (1969)
3. Percy Grainger - Willow, Willow (1911)
4. Robert Schumann - Romances, Op. 94 (1849)
5. Neal Harnly - Chorale Fantasie (1999)
6. Folke Basta - Basta (1982))
4. James Markey - Theme & Variations on "Camptown Races" (2001) for Trombone & Brass Quintet
When this recording came out in 2003, it raised the bar for the Tenor Trombone from an artistic & technical level. A must-have for all aspiring brass performers!!
Have a listen to a bit of the CD. The playing is awesome!!
Click on any of the titles below to hear some awesome mp3 samples from the album:
Track 1 - Prelude No. 1 by Shostakovich
Track 12 - Fantasy by Arnold
Track 13 - Willow, Willow by Grainger
Track 14 - Chorale Fantasie by Harnly
Track 18 - Basta by Rabe
Track 19 - Camptown Races, arr. Markey with Brass Quintet
Mr. Markey’s tenor trombone solo recording, Offroad, was released in 2003, and his bass trombone solo recording, On Base, was released in 2009. He can also be
heard as a soloist on the Hora Decima Brass Ensemble's recording of Janko Nilovic's Concerto for Two Trombones.
Mr. Markey studied with Joseph Alessi at the Juilliard School, where he received his Bachelor and Master of Music Degrees in 2005 and 2006.